BuzzFeed is looking for a Senior Product Manager to build delightful, high-growth consumer products and contribute to developing new mentorship models for the product team as a whole. The ideal candidate is passionate about digital media — from viral quizzes and videos to Pulitzer-prize winning investigative series — and is a collaborative person who has a demonstrated ability to mentor other product managers and lead teams in launching and iterating on impactful products.
This position is based in our New York office.
What You'll Do:
- Work closely with our audience, data, content creators, social strategists, designers and engineers to build systems that increase the personal relevance of BuzzFeed's consumer products. This means deeply understanding our users and content strategy, and conceiving of creative ways to provide audiences with the content they care about most, while also giving them the opportunity to explore the full breadth of BuzzFeed.
- Establish a vision for how personal relevance services fit into the broader ecosystem of BuzzFeed experiences and tools, ranging from content publishing workflows to the BuzzFeed app and BuzzFeed.com
- Be a senior leader on the BuzzFeed product team, setting a vision for mentorship throughout the team and actively supporting the development of other team members.
- Collaboratively determine key performance indicators with the team, and then consistently AB test and evaluate data to drive progress.
- Passionately track growth and retention numbers, and imagine ways to consistently improve these fundamental metrics.
- Develop user testing and research plans to ensure new products and features deeply meet the needs of our target audiences.
- Prioritize bugs and work to maintain a high standard of quality.
- You have lots of ambitious ideas and the judgment to identify which ones are worth pursuing.
- You have significant product management experience, including leading business-critical initiatives that involve collaboration with senior executives and large design and engineering teams.
- You pay close attention to the latest developments in in the media space, from major social apps to the evolution of publishing on Facebook to new experiments in mobile video, VR and audio interfaces.
- You are deft at retrieving and dissecting data with tools such as Google Analytics (if you know SQL, that's a plus!)
- You have prior experience designing and building consumer products, including algorithms that provide personally customized experiences.
- You have prior experience running and reporting on AB tests
- You enjoy working with distributed teams and are an extraordinary communicator in every medium — from Slack to video conferencing to in-person gatherings.
- You can build wireframes, write functional product specs, and test like a champ.
- You're detail-oriented, organized and practical, and you know how to take the seed of an idea through to launch and how to prioritize effectively to get things done.
- You have a deep understanding of the technical and operational requirements of projects and products. You don't need to be an engineer, but you need to speak the language of APIs, caching layers, databases and pull requests.
- You want to work for a company that believes in smart experimentation, agility, mutual respect and having fun.
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 18 cities around the world and more than 1300 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We infuse hard work and fun though a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, and infusing hard work and fun. As an employee, you'll enjoy perks like office events, snacks, career development courses, and no work on your birthday! But most importantly, you'll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.