At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
API Product Manager - Prototyping
Capital One is seeking a Product Manager to lead the API vision and roadmap for select, forward looking APIs supporting the DevExchange Platform. You will help empower internal and external stakeholders to build world-class experiences on top of Capital One APIs and guide our businesses to understand and fully leverage APIs as part of a platform business.
The right candidate will be able to integrate solid product and business understanding with deep knowledge of APIs, and building great developer experiences. We need a strong API Product Manager with experience leading software teams and influencing business and technical leaders.
- Work on a team with product engineers to prototype and build modern public APIs based on feedback from external and internal stakeholders
- Manage the product and feature backlog for external APIs being tested by your team
- Engage with external developers, product managers and consumers to identify and prioritize desirable external APIs and products that can be tested for use on DevExchange
- Understand the long term vision and key drivers of select businesses at Capital One and map that vision to a foundational set of API capabilities
- Analyze, define, and communicate API product roadmaps that align with business objectives
- Lead API design reviews to ensure interface alignment with business intent and usability standards
- Work with API designers and cross-functional teams to translate business needs into API interface & functional requirements
- Evangelize new API-driven business and operational models that align with the business vision
- Work directly with internal and external API consumers on both the business and technical side to understand needs, gaps and opportunities
- Identify and evangelize additional opportunities to build great APIs throughout the enterprise
- Contribute to and drive Capital One additional enterprise API initiatives
- Remain continuously informed of emerging API trends and engaged in the external API community
Here's what you'll need to be successful:
- You have a passion for APIs and elegant design
- You understand software architecture and agile development patterns
- You can communicate business requirements to technical teams and vice versa.
- You can create an API prototype to demonstrate its value and power to customers.
- You can work independently with unwavering professionalism.
- You can positively represent our brand.
- You feel at ease in complex environments.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 3 years of Product Management or Software Development experience
- At least 3 years of experience working with development teams in a fast-paced environment
- Great translator; able to speak the language of technology and of business teams
- Experience building, consuming, documenting or supporting web APIs (ideally all of the above!)
- Professional API Product Management experience
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- 5+years in Product Management
- 4+years of team management experience
- 4+years of experience managing client or vendor relationships
- Excellent presentation skills, comfortable presenting to senior leadership
- Strong attention to detail, combined with ability to see and explain the big picture
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, change, and shifting priorities