In pursuit of our mission and goals, the Kapor Center leads and collaborates on multiple initiatives ranging from STEM education to developing inclusive ecosystems to enhancing D&I in tech startups and venture capital. With each initiative, we’re seeking more efficient and effective ways to leverage our expertise and shared learnings with various communities of practitioners. The Community & Product Manager will lead Kapor Center initiatives to build capacity and enable knowledge sharing among tech entrepreneurs, tech D&I practitioners, STEM educators, and other stakeholders working to advance diversity and inclusion in tech.
This role will work halftime in collaboration with Kapor Center leadership and a small group of advisors to develop and execute a vision and strategy for Diversity Advocates that provides education and professional development, networking and community, and tools and resources for this growing, professional collective of nearly 800 tech D&I practitioners. The other half of this role will be focused on diversity and inclusion knowledge sharing and capacity-building with Kapor Capital startup entrepreneurs to increase diversity and inclusion within their growing companies.
This role will include both operational management of the community and the design, build, and launch of platforms and products that engage and inform the community, including tools to share resources, hold discussions, build knowledge, and create lasting professional networks among the Diversity Advocates.
Our ideal candidate has experience as a Product Manager or Community Manager with an accompanying skill set to lead technically-oriented projects, manage communities, as well as a dedicated, discernible commitment to diversity and inclusion. The Kapor Center is a dynamic and diverse organization with cross-functional teams; the Community & Product Manager will work closely with the Research, Community Engagement, People Operations, and Communications teams. In addition, there will be some opportunity to work with Kapor Capital portfolio companies, especially as they are active in Diversity Advocates.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The Community & Product Manager will:
- Collaborate with the DA leadership team, Kapor Center leadership, and DA colleagues to develop a community vision and strategy for the Diversity Advocates
- Gain a deep understanding of user needs, focusing first on Diversity Advocates, and generate product ideas to address the pressing community needs for communication, resource sharing, and knowledge building. Create buy-in with product ideas from DA leadership team, Kapor Center leadership and DA colleagues
- Translate product strategy into detailed requirements and prototypes
- Secure and work closely with developers to deliver quick time-to-market and optimal resources to achieve the development and implementation of a new communications platform and a platform for sharing resources and knowledge by the end of 2018
- Compile content from experts and validated sources for inclusion into a curated resource repository; identify and collaborate with external consultants when needed to generate content
- Create forums for highlighting best practices and sharing expertise/best practices of existing members
- Organize and participate in events to build community and engagement with products and programs
- Drive product launches including working with the Communications team and other product-related team members (depending on the initiative)
- Continuously monitor community engagement, satisfaction, and solicit feedback on products and services and revise products accordingly
- Respond to comments and community user queries in a timely manner
- Proven work experience in product management
- Proven track record of managing all aspects of a successful product throughout its lifecycle
- Experience launching community initiatives (e.g. building an online forum, launching an ambassador program, creating an event series or and writing an email newsletter)
- Experience managing a budget, hiring staff/consultants, and managing teams
- Solid technical background with understanding and/or hands-on experience in software development and web technologies
- Experience managing/working with a diverse team to execute initiatives from idea to launch
- Strong problem solving skills and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done; ability to multi-task and manage multiple complex projects in a highly-organized fashion
- Ability to use excellent written and verbal communication skills to work collaboratively across teams with diverse skills and areas of expertise
- Commitment to and experience working with underrepresented communities
The strongest candidates will possess:
- Recent professional work experience leading diversity and inclusion efforts, managing D+I projects, or managing communities within the technology sector, preferably in high growth startups
- Work experience in any capacity in high growth tech companies
- Experience facilitating learning opportunities, workshops, and trainings
- MS/BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent preferred
IF YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY, BUT DON’T THINK YOU MEET ALL OF THE REQUIREMENTS, WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO APPLY ANYWAY.
Ideal candidates will also demonstrate the following personal attributes and characteristics:
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and a highly entrepreneurial culture
- Strong interpersonal public speaking and engagement skills; a leadership presence that instills confidence and conveys subject area expertise
- Very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Strong work ethic with minimal need for direction
- Creativity and vision
- Passion for diversity and inclusion and impacting communities of color
- Deep and authentic commitment to our organizational values:
- We extend TRUST and CARE from day one.
- We operate with PERSONAL INTEGRITY at every turn.
- Our DIVERSITY is critical to our success.
- We create and pursue OPPORTUNITIES that further our mission.
- We appreciate and uphold our unique organizational CULTURE.
- We prioritize working with individuals and organizations that share values similar to ours.
The Kapor Center provides competitive compensation commensurate with experience, and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance, 401K, paid time off, holiday benefits and more. The Kapor Center’s office is located in the uptown district of Oakland, with excellent access to public transportation.