At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. This empowers our customers to focus on building amazing products and create personalized experiences for their customers, while we take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. With an incredibly sticky product and minimal direct competition, we’re on track to be the driving force behind powering the entire customer data ecosystem, which brings us to you.
Segment’s Product team is growing so we can build new products and services that help define the future of customer data infrastructure and insights. We are looking for an experienced Product Manager who can help us grow our self-service business. As a PM at Segment, you will work alongside our team of world-class PMs, engineers, analysts, product marketers, sales and success leads. You and your team will identify and execute on the biggest opportunities to solve customer needs, drive business impact and realize Segment’s mission. Ultimately you are building products to empower Segment’s customers’ with data insights so they can create their own magical customer experiences. Meta huh?
What We Do:
- We are all about impact. Shipping something doesn’t matter if it doesn’t solve a problem for our customers and our business.
- We get to serve some of the best customers in the world. We talk with them daily and they are as excited to share their problems with us as we are to solve them.
- We are always finding ways to improve our products and how we build them.
- We are deeply technical because it enables us to solve complex problems in ways that resonate with our customers.
Who We’re Looking For:
- You are curious and scrappy and are able to thrive in a dynamic and ambiguous environment.
- You have a strong track record of driving incredible customer and business impact.
- You have strong technical knowledge (especially around data) that enables you to quickly scope things independently before getting an engineer's opinion.
- You are an extremely strong and effective communicator across a range of situations. From pitching our leadership team on changing the roadmap, to digging into a feature with your team, you take time to explain fundamental reasons behind your decisions.
- You have high intellectual horsepower.
- You flourish when it comes to cross-functional teamwork.
Projects you could work on:
- Determine Self-Service success criteria and strategy
- Our self-service product has received limited investment from the company up until now. We are still in the early phases of understanding our customer base and setting our strategy. What the are core pieces of the funnel where we should focus and what are all the ways to realize the change that we want? As the first Growth PM, we will be relying on you to help shape this strategy and be creative with the solutions we explore.
- Feature development for self service customers
- Historically, feature development has meant building new sources and destinations for customers. Today, we have over 200+ destinations and believe there are many natural extensions to the product that would be awesome new features for our customer base. Help us research what these are, test these concepts with customers, and build the most compelling ones for our customers.
- Making Segment a power user of Segment
- Today, there are many users of Segment internally, but no single product team that uses Segment in all of their day to day operations. To truly understand our product, the friction points that exist, and the opportunities for improvement, we believe this is critically important!
- 2 years + experience in a Growth function (Growth Product, Growth Marketing) producing fantastic business results
- Highly analytical, structured thinker that uses data to make decisions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and strong capability in championing your ideas to fruition
- Skilled at building deep customer empathy through qualitative and quantitive means
- Proven expertise and desire to get stuff done in cross-functional teams
- Existing Segment user is a nice to have!
Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment. Recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers, and promotions will happen based on qualifications for the positions being filled regardless of sex, gender identity, race, religious creed, color, national origin ancestry, age, physical disability, pregnancy, mental disability, or medical condition.