Better is looking for a Director of Product to own our core mortgage platform. This is a high-visibility role that spans consumer-facing and internal-facing product experiences, and is central to our company’s strategy and future growth.
You will own the user experience from the day they lock their interest rate to the day they move into their new home. You’ll make the loan process simple, transparent, and easy for both consumers and our internal operations team. You will also own downstream user monetization, and will integrate relevant offerings into our flow such as real-estate agent recommendations and homeowner’s insurance quotes.
Today it takes 45 days for users to complete a mortgage loan. You will reduce that to 1 day. Today it costs $1,500 to process a loan. You will get that down to near $0. Today users go to multiple providers to find the services they need for a home purchase. You will let them do that entirely within the Better platform, and build new business lines in the process. In accomplishing these goals, you will extend our competitive advantage and help us scale from $1B to $10B in loan volume. Most importantly, you will make it easier for Americans to make the most important purchase of their lives.
What you’ll do
- Define the product strategy and roadmap for our core mortgage platform.
- Manage and mentor a team of product managers.
- Recruit and onboard exceptional new product managers.
- Be an individual contributor, prioritizing and launching new features.
- Interview users and work with our design team to determine how we can simplify and streamline their loan process.
- Coordinate with our sales, support, and operations teams to streamline their workflows.
- Coordinate with business development to identify new services we can offer our users during their loan process.
What you’ll need
- Minimum 3 years experience launching successful products, preferably with experience across B2B and B2C. You have seen dozens of product cycles and have the speed and confidence to succeed within a fast paced, high-performance startup.
- Leadership experience. You can manage, grow, and develop a team of top-notch Product Managers (currently two).
- Strategic thinking. You can spot product adjacencies and user monetization opportunities and work with business stakeholders to make them a reality.
- Process thinking. You can analyze a complex process and find ways to simplify it.
- Technical proficiency. You are a trusted partner of engineers. Communicating about technical topics is your forte and you are willing to analyze data and assist with technical trade-offs when needed.
- Easy to work with. You understand the perspectives of our users, our customer support team, our operations team, and our design team, and you consider these viewpoints when creating product solutions.
- Ability to get up to speed fast. You will become an expert in mortgage underwriting, loan processing, and the home buying experience. Most of us didn’t know a thing about this industry when we started!
- Excitement for Better’s mission to improve access to home finance, and to use a thoughtful combination of design, operations, and technology to do so.
It’s hard not to be excited about mortgages when you’re actively upending the conventions of a $13 trillion dollar business that impacts over 200 million Americans.
At Better, we’re building a next-generation mortgage platform from the ground up. We’ve already funded $1 billion in loans, and we’re just getting started. Our team combines leading software engineers from tech giants like Google and Spotify with financial talent from firms like Blackstone and Bridgewater, creating a hybrid institution unlike any other.
Rife with antiquated processes, the home finance industry has remained fundamentally unchanged since the 1970s. As we break down the entrenchments that bar so many from the benefits of homeownership, we adhere to three basic principles:
- Humans are better than computers at expressing empathy, understanding individual situations, and creating solutions to help people. Let them.
- Computers are more efficient than humans at working with massive data sets, performing complex calculations, and validating thousands of rules. Use them.
- The rules of the status quo are broken. Change them.
Join our mortgage revolution.