At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today, Cloudflare runs one of the world’s largest distributed networks that powers more than 1.5 trillion pageviews each month across 6 million Internet properties. More than 10 percent of all global Internet requests flow through Cloudflare’s network. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code.
Our customers range from Fortune 500 companies and nonprofits to small businesses and budding entrepreneurs. Every day, about 12,000 new customers sign up. We’re working to create a faster, more secure, and more reliable experience for anyone online and given the scale at which we operate, our mission is big. Our team is hard at work shaping the future of the Internet by solving some of its toughest challenges. Come join us.
Product Strategy Team
Job descriptions aren’t often written by the people who occupy them, but this job rocks, and I wanted to be the one to write it all down.
So what will you do as Product Manager on Cloudflare’s Product Strategy Team, other than invent the future?
- You will help Cloudflare build a network that sits on top of the internet, where sending a packet through that network is faster, more secure and more reliable than pushing a packet over the general TCP/IP internet. Think of it like an overlay of the internet where every device and server connected to Cloudflare form sort of a mesh network.
- You will ingest a lot of information - talk to customers, read news and announcements, and try to figure out what are the greenfield opportunities for Cloudflare.
- You will work with a team of engineers, designers, lawyers, sales, and marketing to build and launch products that make the internet faster and safer.
- You will encourage your teammates to succeed and set them up for success.
- You will spend a lot of time writing - the Cloudflare team is distributed, so if something is not written, it doesn’t reach the team.
Perks: What will you love about the job?
- You work with a world-class team.
- Things change quickly at Cloudflare. Last-minute change is in our DNS DNA. It’s exhilarating. (You need to enjoy ambiguity and change to love this job.)
- Cloudflare takes bets on people. There is a high degree of trust. That means you are trusted to move fast and have a lot of agency. Generally if you think something is worthwhile, you are trusted to run and pursue it, within reason.
- You get to work on a small team inside a large company. It means you have the support system of Cloudflare, with the agility of the Product Strategy team.
- Everyone at Cloudflare comes into work every day to build faster and safer infrastructure for the 3.5 billion people that use the internet.
- People at Cloudflare recognize each other’s successes. At the end of every week, the team generates a list of who went above and beyond that week and it is read outloud in the company all hands. This is unique and wonderful.
- You get a high level of visibility into other teams and functions, including management.
- You won't be bored.
Key Competencies: We are looking for someone who...
- Enjoys learning and asking questions
- Is comfortable setting up a webserver and using curl
- Has an understanding of how the internet works from L3/4 to L7.
- Is comfortable using an API for basic scripting.
- Functions like quantum physics: you should be able to get things done when you’re not observed.
- Has ideas that start with ‘wouldn’t it be crazy if…’. That is how the best projects start at Cloudflare.
- Has the drive to push projects all the way through to the end. (Michelle calls this 'being a barrel')
- Is a team player. Your job is to help your team succeed.
- Is driven and self-sufficient, and has a high degree of comfort in ambiguity.
- Has a good understanding of how the internet works.
- Is highly organized and always ‘on top of it’.
- Ships product. The advice my manager gave me when I interviewed at Cloudflare was that the people that succeed at Cloudflare consistently ship product. It’s true.
What Makes Us Special
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet. In 2014, we launched Project Galileo, an initiative through which we partner with global NGOs to identify websites at risk of attack and provide the same state-of-the-art mitigation technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost. Project Galileo equips politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work.
Additionally, in 2016, we announced our partnership with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization that works with companies to create 18-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one. With the lofty goal of shaping the future of the Internet, we’re focused on recruiting the best and the brightest, no matter what.
Cloudflare hires the best people based on an evaluation of their abilities and effectiveness. We don't discriminate against employees on the basis of any other personal characteristic or any classification protected by federal, state or local law.