We are a well-funded, mission-driven startup with top investors and advisors, on a mission to change the way the world reads the news. Our product, Action Button, enables audiences to take civic and charitable action on world-changing news stories so audiences can do more than read headlines - they can change headlines. And we’re changing the industry fast: you can find Action Button live across thousands of articles on Vice, The Guardian, Time, Refinery29, ATTN and more. We have core relationships with key international news outlets, with major expansion planned for 2018. We are looking for smart, creative thinkers who are entrepreneurial and critical of the digital experiences around them, and innovators who are energized to re-imagine the way news, brands and civic causes mesh in the digital world.
We are seeking a Head of Product who can help define a product vision and strategy that will revolutionize the ways in which people take action effectively and support causes they care about. This role fuses the technical and business worlds to oversee the design and iteration of a consumer-facing product that is loved by both our users and our publisher & NGO partners.
You are articulate, passionate about our mission, and excited to both learn from our stakeholders and teach them to see the world from a fresh perspective. At the same time, you love thinking through UX and architecture problems with designers and engineers as you distill feedback, research and gut into a prioritized set of features; thinking through the nitty-gritty details to ensure the highest level of quality and the best overall product. You understand when quantitative data is useful for decision making, but also when it is misleading. You can manage and recruit a team of designers and engineers (some remotely, some in HQ) while balancing the opinions of the business team – all to form one consolidated product roadmap. In short, you are obsessed with making sure we are building the right thing at the right time for the right stakeholders.
- Ownership of the Action Button product and Speakable platform.
- Ownership of the Product Roadmap. Strategically plan the evolution of the Action Button product, its functionalities and design, over a long term (1-year) time horizon, then split that vision into concrete milestones that are delivered each month and quarter.
- Oversee product releases with the engineering team; ensure that releases happen regularly (every 7-10 business days) with high levels of QA, and that hot fixes for bugs are instituted when necessary.
- Manage relationships with designers and programmers, both internally and externally, to ensure that the look and feel of Action Button is constantly improving.
- Ensure product-market fit in a multi-sector product: ensure Action Button is delivering value for our NGOs partners, media partners and individual users/readers.
- Manage and make use of our product performance data in order to ensure that new features maintain or improve our core product KPIs.
- Oversee the evolution of our website, www.actionbutton.org, with a goal that over time it becomes a top destination for readers to consume news as well as take action on the headlines.
- Assist with recruiting engineers to the team.
- Represent for product at occasional presentations to the company’s Board and other conferences and events.
Skills and Experience
- 6-10 years total work experience in product management, engineering, design, or tech-forward sales and support (or a combination of the above)
- At least 1-2 years in a broader Product Management role
- Excellent verbal & written communication, including visualizing roadmaps and impactful presentations
- Excellent relationship management skills - able to explain to a publisher or media company how our tech works and help their engineering team find the easiest way to implement, plus experience working with non-technical clients and translating their needs into effective engineering solutions
- Experience working with data in a product/analyst context. You know SQL and you’re not afraid to use it.
- Experience in product design a plus.
- Experience working with news publishers or media companies a huge plus.
- Experience building products that incorporate NLP and/or machine learning an extra huge plus.
- Reporting to: CEO
- Full-time position in NYC Headquarters
- Compensation: Competitive salary + vesting equity
- Benefits: Excellent healthcare/dental/vision insurance + 4 weeks PTO + $500 educational or volunteering stipend (and up to 3 days for educational or volunteering initiatives) annually
For more information and to register your interest in this role, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
19 West 24th St, 4th Floor, NY NY 10010 | www.actionbutton.org