CommonBond is building the leading values-driven, customer-centric financial services company and is looking for people who want to help our company grow. Our mission starts by tackling the broken student lending market and changing the way people think about student loans. We accomplish this with lower interest rates for our borrowers, a state-of-the art technology platform, and high-touch customer service. Additionally, our 1-for-1 model is the first of its kind in financial services: for every degree fully funded on the CommonBond platform, we fund the education of a child in need for a full year through a partnership with Pencils of Promise. We are backed by great investors, have a killer team, and are growing rapidly!
We are seeking a Vice President of Product Management to join our team to help us concept and deliver new products to our customers while optimizing our existing products. As the Head of Product, you will ensure that we remain focused on delivering customer-centric solutions, setting product strategies that you translate into action. Our product team works cross-functionally across every team in our organization (engineering, marketing, sales, creative, risk, finance, capital markets, underwriting, customer care) to identify solutions to problems and find ways to deliver them. You and your team will ultimately be responsible for crafting the vision, defining and defending product roadmaps, and taking the roadmap from ideation to execution.
- Understand our customers' needs as well as our internal stakeholders needs.
- Ensure strategic product development is founded on data, including insights from customer research, competitive intelligence, and internal data.
- Develop product vision and roadmap, ensuring we are focused on delivering highest value products that guide us toward company goals with the highest degree of independence and ownership. Work with executive team to get alignment on roadmap.
- Set up your team to develop product roadmaps for themselves with consistent delivery of releases that ultimately drive meaningful business results. Oversee the overall roadmap across all of product to ensure we are on-strategy and on-schedule.
- Become an expert in our industry and products. We expect our product managers to act as CEOs of their domain...as VP of Product you must get up to speed on our products, our customers, and our industry quickly and in-depth.
- Ensure cross-functional teamwork in product development. Deliver consistent communication to cross-functional stakeholders on product strategy and deliverables.
- Work closely with our engineering team to ensure they are positioned to deliver on product requirements consistently and on-schedule. Ship consistently by using agile principles. Work with product managers to ensure bias for shipping.
- Measure the impact of the products we build and if we delivered the results we planned for. Understand the 'why' when we over or under-deliver results and incorporate learnings into future product development.
- Lead our product and UX teams and ensure they are set up for success. Mentor team by delivering regular feedback to team members so that they can deliver the best possible results and grow professionally.
- Control of planning, staffing, budgeting, and managing expense priorities for the Product dept.
- 7+ years product experience in consumer tech
- Experience in startup/rapid growth companies preferred
- Proven ability to influence the direction and success of a company
- 4+ years of managing direct reports
- Bachelors degree required
- Track record – you have a demonstrable history of delivering innovative products that delight consumers and drive business results.
- Customer-Centric – you leverage customer research, including in-person and offline user testing, customer feedback, to glean insights that drive product decisions. You know how to distil a customer pain-point into an insight that drives product strategy.
- Hungry – we're looking for people that are hungry to desire to re-shape an industry, in financial services, where product innovation has been minimal until recently and the opportunity to deliver a better customer experience is abundant. You're someone that likes to win and always puts in 110% to do so.
- Leadership – you don't focus on giving orders to your team but instead empowering them to drive results. You mentor and provide feedback that enables them to deliver on their objectives while growing professionally.
- Creative – the path to the solution is rarely a straight line. You're someone that knows how to leverage frameworks and best practices but also knows how to think outside the box to get the job done.
- Agile - Experience working in Agile software development. You have a bias towards shipping with a mindset that it's better to ship fast and get wins along the way.
- Strategic – you have a deep understanding your industry/competitive landscape and identify the product strategy to win in it. You consider everything from CAC and NPS to internal cycle times and error rates as appropriate in your decisions. You get up to speed fast and have a desire to learn our industry and who our customers are to help build a winning strategy.
- Effective communication –you are well spoken with an ability to explain complex topics clearly and concisely to a variety of teams within the company.
- Data-driven – history of leveraging customer research/user testing to drive product development. You're someone that enjoys personally speaking to customers to better understand them.
- Attention to detail – you pay close attention to your own work as well as your team's to ensure we're delivering the highest quality product possible.
- Roll-up-your-sleeves mentality – We're a small team and everyone, including our executive team, gets their hands dirty to get stuff done.
- Expert multi-tasking – You'll be managing several projects simultaneously, continuously making sure that what ships is of the upmost quality. You will remain undaunted, organized and juggle these tasks without letting the ball drop. You will know how to ruthlessly prioritize your time.
- Professional but not stuffy – We're sharp and competent but also fun.
Sense of urgency – You want to "go, move, make things happen, and shake things up!"